- Your behavior, activity level, and emotional state during and between contractions.
- The frequency, intensity, and duration of your contractions.
- How you assess your pain (most hospitals use a 0 to 10 pain scale.)
- Vagina secretions.
- Labor progress (combo of above.)
- Vital signs: pulse, temperature, respiration, blood pressure.
- Fetal heart tones (using doppler or external fetal monitoring strips.)
- Tone of uterus and amount of bleeding postpartum.
- APGAR, baby's temperature, respiration, pulse.
- Baby's general behavior, physical appearance, and state of alertness.
Specific to your amniotic sac breaking:
- color: brown or green indicates meconium
- amount: leak or gush
- odor: smell can indicate infection
(Notes paraphrased from The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin.)